“Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment”, is an extremely fast, performing and energy saving desktop environment. It is maintained by an international community of developers and comes with a beautiful interface, multi-language support, standard keyboard short cuts and additional features like tabbed file browsing. LXDE uses less CPU and less RAM. It is especially designed for cloud computers with low hardware specifications like netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers. LXDE can be installed with distributions like Ubuntu or Debian. It provides a fast desktop experience connecting easily with applications in the cloud. LXDE supports a wealth of programs, that can be installed with Linux systems locally.
- It needs less CPU and performs extremely well with reasonable memory.
- It runs well even on older computers produced in 1999.
- Energy saving
- It requires less energy to perform tasks to other systems on the market.
- Simply Beautiful
- It includes an internationalized and polished user interface powered by GTK+ 2.
- Easy to use
- It provides a choice to use the simple eeepc like Launcher user interface or a MS Windows like application panel.
- It is easy to customize the look and feel of LXDE.
- Additional Features
- It offers additional features like tabbed file browsing or menu run dialogs known from operating systems like Mac OS. Icons of new applications show up after install on desktop.
- Desktop independent
- Every component can be used independently from other components of LXDE offering the flexibility to use LXDE parts with different Unix like systems.
- Standard compliant
- It follows standards as specified by freedesktop.org.
LXDE has been tested under following hardware configurations, and runs well.
|Pentium II 266 MHz||192 MB||5400 rpm||moderate – fast|
|VIA 400 MHz||256 MB||5400 rpm||moderate – fast|
|Pentium III 600 MHz||512 MB||4500 rpm||fast|
|QEMU emulation on AMD Athlon 1.6 (1.4 GHz)||128 MB||QEMU disk image||fast|
|AMD Athlon 1.6 (1.4 GHz)||512 MB||7200 rpm||very fast|
|Intel Atom||512 MB||Flash Disk||very fast|